Plan ahead for your party with our handy checklist.
One Month Before the Party
- Call your friends to collect RSVP’s if they have not yet responded.
- If you didn’t specify recipes or cookie types for each guest to bring, ask your friends what they plan to bake and try to avoid duplicates. Twenty dozen chocolate chip cookies does not make for pleasant variety.
- Decide on treats and drinks to serve at the party, and if you wish, ask friends to bring some of the appetizers.
Three Days Before the Party
- Bake your cookies and store them in an airtight container or freeze them. (You’ll need to defrost the cookies before serving them.)
- Begin decorating the house.
- Gather any tablecloth, napkins or tableware necessary for the party.
- Begin making appetizers that freeze or store well.
- Select background music that you would like to have playing during the party.
- Write out a rough schedule for the party. You want everyone to socialize, but still have time to pack up cookies during the exchange.
One Day Before the Party
- Finish making appetizers and drinks.
- Arrange furniture for the party.
- Set up the cookie-buffet table; it should hold a large variety of cookies and be accessible by more than one person at a time.
- If you have cake stands or other tiered serving trays, use them–dishes at different heights add drama to the buffet.
The Day of the Party
- Arrange food and drinks.
- Fix up any last-minute decorations.
- Brew the coffee, pull out your party timeline, put on some festive attire and get ready to party!